Friday, July 25, 2008

Overwhelmed

Jason and I went down to Waco yesterday to pay his deposit for seminary (just a tiny drop in the bucket of what we will soon owe to further his education), go to job interviews, and look at houses.

And we took all three children with us. You can imagine how that turned out.

Honestly, I can only imagine how I might have acted at 4 or 6 years of age if my day went something like this:
* ride in the car for 2 1/2 hours
*go into a building and have to be very quiet and SIT STILL for about 15 minutes
*get back into car
*go into another place, be very quiet and SIT STILL for about 20 minutes
*get back into car
*get out to look at a house. Be quiet and DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING
*another 20 minute car ride
*look at another house. Be quiet and DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING
*lunch where we had to wait in line for a table for about 15 minutes
*back in the car to drive around while mom has an interview- takes about 45 minutes
*go into a bookstore while daddy has an interview- have to sit still and BE QUIET reading books
*go look at another house. Be quiet and DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING
*look at the last house. Be quiet and DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING
*eat dinner
*drive 2 1/2 hours home

So to my mom, if you're reading this, please accept my apologies for any day that you tried to get stuff done while dragging me along and I made your life miserable with my gripey, whiny attitude. Believe me when I say I was paid back tenfold yesterday. Your mother's curse worked. You know, the one where your mom says, "I hope your kids act just like you one day." And they mean it not b/c you were acting like an angel, but more like a spawn of satan.

There were a few times yesterday when I threw all parenting principles out the window for the sake of peace and sanity. Like the time I gave my not-quite-2-year-old several sips of my java chip frappucino. She may have had about 1/3 of it. Don't judge me.

Or the time I let her and my 4 yr. old pull all of the stuffed animals off of the toy rack at Popular Chain Bookstore. Yes, I was "that parent." But we picked them all up and put them back before we left. Just be aware that if you plan to buy a stuffed animal at the said Waco store, all of them have been manhandled by my kids.

Or the hours upon hours the kids spent watching videos and cartoons on the DVD player in our minivan. I'm sure the AAP would throw us in parents jail for causing the children's developing brains to atrophy from too much TV. But after the day I had yesterday, as long as I get 3 squares a day and a padded cell, parents jail doesn't sound too bad...

2 comments:

  1. You know...sometimes you have to throw Love and Logic out the window and kick into that mommy survival mode. Good luck with everything...can't wait to hear what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it sounds like you managed really well.
    Can't wait to hear what you end up doing... you know, I taught in Waco ISD and worked for BU for a while... so I can only imagine the fun you're having during the job search.

    ReplyDelete

Comments help prove my worth. Leave me some love, because I'm worth it!