Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Crisis of Faith (in Santa)

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before that Micah, my oldest, is a thinker.  Nothing gets past his steel-trap mind.  This is the child who, at 4 years of age, asked Jason, "If God is so mighty, why did Jesus have to die?"  Wow.  Let's all ponder that a minute, shall we?  But don't hurt yourself.

As we were eating dinner tonight, Micah asks, "Mommy does Santa travel all over the world or just in America?"  Before I could answer, he continued, "Because people in other parts of the world believe in people other than Santa.  So are they RIGHT?"  

Honestly, when people tell me they don't "do" Santa, I totally respect that.  Not necessarily because of the "it's wrong to lie to your kids" argument, but more because it's really hard to KEEP lying to your kids, especially when your 6 yr. old is waiting to poke all kinds of holes in your story.  Oh, what a tangled web we weave... right?

On one hand, I feel like I'm leading him to a double-standard: I want him to understand that it's OK for others to create their own tales of Santa, but when it comes to Jesus, we believe in one true God.  But on the other hand, at 28 years old (and holding), I can totally "get" that and I'm not any worse for the wear.  And, the most obvious point is that Santa is fictional, which he'll understand one day, most likely sooner rather than later.  Once he figures it out, his siblings don't even have a chance. 

I decided to simply to ask him what he thought.  He gave me some convoluted example of some other Santa-figure with wings that I have totally never heard of before, and he concluded that people on earth don't have wings, so the other people who believe in characters other than the "true" Santa must be wrong.  That's a boy with conviction!  Or dogma.  :)  

There will be enough time another day to clear up this confusion.  I just hope I'm doing the right thing between now and then.  

  

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally with you on this one! Caed asked me the other day where Santa was in the bible! YIKES! I can't remember what I even told him, I was so in shock! I might have left that one up to James!

    ReplyDelete

Comments help prove my worth. Leave me some love, because I'm worth it!