Saturday, April 26, 2008

Life and Death

The funeral for my friends' baby was today. I feel emotionally exhausted. Something our pastor said at the service struck me- he said times like these are reminders that life and death are daily issues. This sums up what I've been trying to convey rather succinctly.

We equate "daily issues" with things like parenting, work, and marriage. We take life as though we'll live it forever and assume that death is far from us or meant for someone else. Parenting, work, and marriage are daily issues, but in order to deal with those issues properly, we have to deal with life and death.

How differently would we live if we knew exactly how limited our time on earth would be? I want to live like that. I want to love my children, my husband, my friends, and, most importantly, my Christ with the same fervor that I might have if I could see to the end of my days. I think facing death, as difficult as it is, causes us to wrestle with life, causes us to wrestle with God and come up with a better perspective on both, thereby enabling us to live our lives to the fullest to the glory of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments help prove my worth. Leave me some love, because I'm worth it!