Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I'm a Celebration Sell-Out

Even though I'm not genetically a creative person, I do actually give creativity a shot once in awhile. And due to my sincerest dislike of all children's items "character" in nature, I try to channel some creativity into planning their birthday parties with character-less themes. I actually pride myself on having NEVER ONCE planned a single child's birthday party (out of the 12 we've collectively "enjoyed") using a "character" theme. You want Superman? We do "super heroes." You want Clifford? We do "puppy dogs." I've got mad theme-spinning skillz. It's notches in my birthday belt, people.


And then there's today. My streak has been broken. I may as well have sold my soul to the character gods.


Cade's 5th birthday is Saturday, but we're having his friend party tonight. I thought we could get away from a theme by having a "location" party. I've invited a group of children, ranging form 3-6, to an indoor bounce house place. Since all the entertainment and games will be encompassed by All the Jumping, I thought I had gotten off theme-free. Until Cade put on his birthday party planning hat.


Cade, bless his heart, really has a love for life. He's so enthusiastic about everything. When we were discussing (by discussing I mean trying to talk him out of) party themes he wanted Superman! No, Spiderman! No, Diego! No, Transformers! No, Iron Man! No, Hulk! No, Batman! And on and on it went. Whatever happened to be in the forefront of his mind at the moment. Then he finally landed on Scooby Doo.

I tried to talk him out of it. I even tried outright refusing, short of stomping my foot and shouting NO like a 2 year old. I can't deny the thought did cross my mind when nothing else worked. But the sight of my heartbroken little man was too much for my conscience. Besides, I have a million reasons why I have just NOT had the time to plan a really great party and they all start with Micah, Cade, or Missy.

So I found myself at Local Party Goods Store last night picking up Scooby plates, napkins, stickers, temporary tattoos, etc, etc. All manner of Scooby crap available became property of me. I should have just bought stock in Hanna Barbera.

And the kids LOVED IT. It was the easiest party ever. I reserved the bounce house place a couple of weeks ago, but everything else was planned in a little more than 24 hours. It was truly a success, even if my character-free party planning streak has come to a crashing end. I'll admit, it was worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I've walked that road...I wouldn't let my girls have character parties, rooms or shoes. A shirt is ok, because its just part of one outfit, but shoes are a commitment. Call me crazy, but something about Cinderella shoes and Winnie the Pooh shirt sets my nerves on edge...that is crazy, isn't it.
    You did the right thing, my friend. Life's too short to not take advantage of the easy way out sometimes. And oh, the memories he'll have. Being the first to have a character party might go along way in making up for that whole middle child thing...

    ReplyDelete

Comments help prove my worth. Leave me some love, because I'm worth it!