Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Public Service Announcement

So I had another doctor appointment yesterday. In order to ruin my day, as if being at the doctor's office wasn't enough, the first thing the nurse had me do was step on the scale. Whoa! Talk about a wake-up call- I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say I'm still carrying around "some" baby weight. Can it still be called baby weight 19 months after the baby was born? I think so. Even though I need to lose like 100 L-Bs, one thing made my day. When I told the nurse I was 30, she was shocked! Shocked, people! She said, and I quote, "You look SO much younger!" YAY!! That almost took the sting out of the weight thing. Not quite, but almost.

Anyway, today I decided to work on my eating habits. I only had a few minutes for lunch and decided to hit Sonic for a nice salad. Because Sonic is known for their nice salads, right? Not their sugary drinks, deliciously greasy onion rings, or heart attack-inducing chili cheese dogs. It took every ounce of strength I had to force my mouth to form the word "salad" while simultaneously pushing air through my larynx, so that I wasn't mouthing the word salad, but actually saying it in an audible voice. I decided to order the Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad b/c the menu said it had black beans (which I love and are totally good for you). When I got back to my office and sat down to dig into my nice salad, imagine my shock when I saw that I could count the number of black beans on 2 hands (and part of a foot). Yes, I'm anal and I counted them. There were 14 beans in a huge bowl of lettuce. 14!! I don't think that even counts as a full serving. Seriously.

There was a decent sized piece of grilled chicken on top of my lettuce and beans, thankfully. But the total for the salad and a medium diet coke was almost $7. I got charged 7 bucks for a huge bowl of lettuce and a drink. And iceburg lettuce, at that. Not even the good stuff. And there was plenty of it. But my PSA to anyone reading: whenever you get a craving for a nice salad, skip the SW Grilled Chicken Salad at Sonic. Don't be tempted by the black beans, as I was. If you think the black beans will make a healthy addition to your nice salad, keep in mind that you can get black beans for WAAAY cheaper at the grocery store, even with rising gas prices driving up the cost of food. Take my word for it.

1 comment:

Comments help prove my worth. Leave me some love, because I'm worth it!