Saturday, December 13, 2008

Bah Humbug!

Our little family traveled today to see my brother-in-law graduate from a small university in west Texas. When we returned home, I asked Cade to turn on the tree lights, which is the most coveted job of the season. He flipped the switch and- JOY TO THE WORLD- half the lights on the tree are out.

I checked to make sure all the strands were still connected. They are. I thought about using the excuse that it's too close to Christmas to fix it, but since Christmas is still over a week away, I don't think that lameness is going to fly.

Therefore, it appears that I will have the distinct pleasure of taking every decoration off the tree, de-lighting it, connecting some lights that actually shine and then completely redecorating the tree. The thought of this somehow does not make my heart flutter as it did the initial time we decorated the tree.

Why is it that decorating the tree one time is a wonderfully anticipated occasion, but doing it twice in the same season is considerably less appealing? Now it's more like a nagging chore, just one more thing I have to do this season. It's sort of like the thought of wrapping, unwrapping and rewrapping the gifts under the tree, just for giggles. It's kind of cool the first time you wrap them, considering the excitement and surprise the recipient will feel on Christmas morning (or whenever you exchange gifts), but it's not so fun that we want to do it over and over again. The first time is enough.

Oh what a heavy burden I bear. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I would have just left the burnt out strands on the tree and added new ones on top of everything else. I say this, because I have done this very thing...often =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments help prove my worth. Leave me some love, because I'm worth it!