Thursday, December 18, 2008

An Important Announcement

I'd like to state for the record that baking without using eggs totally and completely SUCKS, thankyouverymuch.

Piper is getting to the age where she gets upset when she can't have what everyone else is having, yet she's still too young to reason with.  So when the boys get something she can't eat due to her allergy, she usually ends up in a screaming crying fit.  And I contemplate joining in.

Since pretty much every food associated with parties contains egg, I have started contributing egg-free "goodies" (and I use the term VEEERRRYY loosely) at her school parties.  I also baked an egg-free cake for her birthday.

And I don't care what people say or how many rave reviews a cook book gets, I have not baked a sweet without eggs that's nearly as good as the original.  Not even close.  Maybe that's why they call it the "incredible edible egg."  Because people who can't have them get to eat baked goods that are very much NOT incredible.

The chocolate cake I baked for her birthday was just weird.  Even a very sweet friend of mine finally  admitted the other night that it wasn't good.  At all.  

Tonight I made "Luscious Yellow Cake" but used a cupcake pan instead.  Let's just say that the "Luscious Yellow Cake" is more like "Yellow Brick Road Cake."  The things are so hard you could use them to pave the road to Oz.  I'm taking them to her party anyway because it's late now and I don't have time to attempt another failing recipe.  I'm honestly not sure if 2 yr. old's have strong enough teeth for these "desserts."  I think I need to make a sign for my cake plate that says "I will not be held responsible for any dental injuries that should occur from eating the Yellow Brick Road pavement.  Eat at your own risk, for sure."  

And I'm only half-way joking.   


6 comments:

  1. the "pavers" will be a big hit by the other parents who apprciate your dedication and love for piper. Remember little boy I who was is class with Cade who's dear mother made him "pizza" every friday so her son wouldn't feel left out because he was alergic to gluten, dairy, tomatoes and any other edible food and only ate organic. The worst part was his allergy to chocolate, can you imagine, a life without chocolate? I cried a silent tear at each party for that little chocolate free soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this something Piper will grow out of?
    My neice is not allergic but "sensitive" to eggs. The best explanation I could get for this was "I don't know - they just make her really grouchy" (naturopathic medicine). Anyhow, I'm sure that's an oversimplification but it's still a pain in the butt cooking for her. Every year her Nana (Cory's mom) makes her this really lumpy pumpkin cheesecake, but she seems to love it, so whatevs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The incredible, edible egg"...hee,hee...good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas!!!!! I was hoping to come over here and find pics of the family!! Got any? ; )

    This is PandaMom, by the way with a new blog. Tell J hi from us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about the egg allergy. I adore eggs. There must be some egg-free baked goods recipe book out there somewhere that has decent recipes. You need to search the giant food blog world and see what's out there.
    Anyway, I wanted to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, this is Chris Riley. In Weight Watchers, we use diet coke for all the liquid a cake mix needs (replaces the oil and eggs as ingredients.) They seem to taste pretty good to me and it makes it a little bit healthy. Use 1 can for the box mix.

    ReplyDelete

Comments help prove my worth. Leave me some love, because I'm worth it!